birding-aus

Steve and Phil's Oz trip, Part One

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Steve and Phil's Oz trip, Part One
From: "Stephen Keen" <>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 16:26:05 -0000
Pleased to be rapped if it helps! I will pass it on, too. Hadn't given it a thought at the time, which is rather inexcusable. Apologies in advance if I mention doing it elsewhere when I shouldn't have done.
Regarding the LbF: put it down as a Grey Whistler at first, but the jizz wasn't quite right, the bird didn't seem long or chunky enough, and we then noticed the flycatcher bill, not a hooked whistler bill, and paler than GW's. The bird was by the road to the car park there. Quite prepared to be told we were wrong, though we did give it a good grilling and had nice long views.

And regarding Chowchilla, I strongly suspect it's just a matter of be there for dawn or thereabouts wherever you go for them. We heard not a squeak on Mt Lewis when we visited a couple of hours after dawn. Logrunner was similarly vocal first thing, but not later.

Cheers

Steve