birding-aus

Steve and Phil's Oz trip, Part One

To: "Stephen Keen" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Steve and Phil's Oz trip, Part One
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 17:42:30 +1000
Stephen,

You wrote in part, "at The Crater, hoping for our last two Atherton endemics, Fernwren and Chowchilla. Heard the former, but both eluded us, despite plenty of bashing off the main paths. Were treated to a good performance by half a dozen lekking Victoria?s Riflebirds. Although all were youngsters it was an impressive spectacle with them just a few yards above us. Whilst here we got our only Lemon-bellied Flycatcher, and several of the endemics were seen."

Please stay on the paths. Erosion in this high rainfall area is exacerbated by people short cutting and bush bashing. You might only do it once but you are not the only person to visit this park.

If you will still talk to me after that public wrap over the knuckles, I wish to discourage others from following suit, could you please provide details of the Lemon-bellied Flycatcher. This would be a most unusual record!

Alan

P.S. for those chasing Chowchilla, go to Lake Barrine and start on the circuit track in a clock wise direction within two hours after sunrise or an hour before sunset. Success rate 95% in the first kilometre.