birding-aus

Fork-tailed Swift report for 2004/05 season

Subject: Fork-tailed Swift report for 2004/05 season
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:54:51 +1100
I have a 05/06 report.  ~1000 Fork-tailed Swifts approximately 50km
west of Mataranka in the NT on 20/11/05.  I watched them for about ten
minutes apparently taking insects with some dollarbirds and woodswallows
also apparently feeding.  Many were only a few metres above the ground
with wing noise quite audible  as they zipped past and occasional soft
chitterring calls too.

I counted roughly 300 birds from where I first saw them.  As we drove off
the flock continued for just over a km down the road so my guess is very
roughly 1000 birds.  Didn't see another Swift in over 2000km of travel.

The best bird on the (work) trip was a Grass Owl sitting on the road at
night between Vic. River and Timber Creek - a new bird for me.

Andrew