birding-aus

Hunter Region Birds

To: <>, <>
Subject: Hunter Region Birds
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 19:18:50 +1100

Hey all

I reckon the NSW Hunter region is one of the best birding regions in Oz (and this is no over-statement) in terms of bird variety. Having developed a good knowledge of the birds in the area over the past 10 years I have found this definitely true to the point. There would be more than 400 species and I am sure over time that there will be more added!

It’s great to see such a splendid mix of birds all close to one of Australia’s major cities and provides a good day/weekend trip for many people living in Sydney.

The area can also be considered one of the rarity capitals in Oz with Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Stilt Sandpiper, SIPO, Garganey, Northern Shoveler and the long list goes on…

Edwin Vella