birding-aus

Nesting Frogmouths incubation period

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Nesting Frogmouths incubation period
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 03:06:39 +1100

We have a pair of Tawny Frogmouths currently nesting in a eucalypt opposite our house. I have been waiting to see the young hatch for over a month or two and surprised how long they have been incubating. Does anyone know if a 2 months incubation period be too long for these birds? The same pair has been nesting in the same tree for 3 years in a row but I have not seen any young in the pervious years. The nest is constructed very strong with even some man made wire used.

Edwin Vella