birding-aus

Mute Swans

To: <>, "Sue & Phil Gregory" <>
Subject: Mute Swans
From: "Mike Tarburton" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 09:31:35 +1000
G'day birders & Phil

I remember seeing White Swans in a number of places in WA, (all fairly near
Perth)  but I can only find one record at the moment this was at North Lake
(near Bibra Lake, south of Fremantle) 15.2.1961.

Serventy & Whittell 3rd Ed (1962) state

"Introduced.  A few birds are to be seen on the pools at Queen's Gardens and
Hyde Park, Perth, and the species has been established on the Avon River at
Northam, where it breeds.  Pairs have also been liberated on some of the
southern rivers, as at Bridgetown (Blackwood River), but the species has shown
no inclination to extend its range or increase markedly in numbers.
Undoubtedly some birds released have fallen prey to local gunners."

cheers

Mike

Dr Mike Tarburton
Dean: School of Science and Technology