birding-aus

Birding at Mount Isa, NW Qld 17/09/2005

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Birding at Mount Isa, NW Qld 17/09/2005
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:36:33 +1000
G'day all,
I kicked myself into gear last Saturday to check out which waders are visiting the western shores of our Lake Moondarra.

I was able to record a reasonable range of species:
- Stint, Long-toed
- Stint, Red-necked
- Sandpiper, Sharp-tailed
- Sandpiper, Curlew
- Sandpiper, Marsh
- Godwit, Black-tailed

There was also a good selection of waterfowl
- Duck, Pink-eared (maybe a 1000)
- Duck, Wood (1)
- Duck, Pacific Black
- Hardhead (many 100s)
- Teal, Grey
- Coots (1000s)
- Grebe, Australasian
- Grebe, Great Crested (maybe a dozen)
(but no Whistling-ducks of any species)

Miscellaneous
- 4 species of Cormorants were present.
- Several groups of cygnets were still being supervised by their parents
  ( I have yet to sight any of their nests)
- A male & female Black-necked Stork were fishing independently 3/4 kilometre apart
- A few Australian Bustards were feeding in amongst the Spinifex, just away from the lake.

Other comment
- The Stints were feeding with both Red-kneed Plovers & Sharp-tailed Sandpipers which helped me to confirm their ID.
  (& I was able to take some confirmation 48x pix with my Panasonic NV-GS15 Camera, 2x adaptor +  using a Manfrotto 676b digi monopod)
- 4/8/2005 was the 1st time I have seen the Black-tailed Godwit at Mount Isa. It is the Bar-tailed Godwit that is seen occasionally each year.

Regards from
Bob Forsyth
Mount Isa, NW Qld.
ps Please note my new address for Birding-aus postings is