birding-aus

Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos in suburbia (Melb.)

Subject: Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos in suburbia (Melb.)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:32:29 +1000

Another first for inner urban Melbourne and my home list for Richmond (5km from Melbourne GPO).

After reports last week of Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos flying over Richmond we were hoping to have them over our place eventually.

Details are: 18 September 2005, 1305 hrs EST.

approx. 70 Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos flying very high in a loose flock, south west towards the South Melbourne area.
Weather was sunshine after a wintry morning in Melbourne (drizzle, fog on the peaks).  The previous day 'damaging winds' were forecast for much of Victoria and snowfalls down to 1 000m.

As usual, the birds were first detected by their distinctive call.

Martin O'Brien
Threatened Species & Communities Section
Department of Sustainability and Environment
2/8 Nicholson St., East Melbourne  3002

Tel: 9637 9869