birding-aus

Returning Migrants and breeding birds in Yungaburra FNQ

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Returning Migrants and breeding birds in Yungaburra FNQ
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:18:27 +1000
G'day,
On the 13th we had our first Channel-billed Cuckoo and heard the first Large-tailed Nightjar. Then on the 14th we heard the first Koel. Numerous signs of breeding activity but the most humorous was the antics of two young male riflebirds, which were displaying to each other in turns. They would even play the female acting unimpressed. Although, in this case, there was reason to be unimpressed as the young birds had a lot of technique to master yet. They were eventually chased off by an adult male as the sunlight approached the display perch. A female arrived but didn't stay for more than a few seconds. I guess she wasn't impressed by him either.
And before someone corrects my geography, I know that this is not really Far north Queensland. It is further from here to Cape York than from Melbourne to Sydney. However we still hear of Bundaberg as "north Queensland" and Brisbane as "northern Australia."

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road