birding-aus

New species for our property

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: New species for our property
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:20:38 +1000
Hi All,

Had a pleasant surprise this afternoon after returning home from work. Whilst photographing Brown Honeyeaters in our grevilleas I heard an odd-call but didn't chase it up. A few minutes later I saw a Brown HE with a mark on it's neck, I thought to myself I could have mistaken you for a Fuscous Honeyeater and took a couple of shots, then I realised I was looking at a Fuscous HE! (bird #143 for our property)
The nearest population of this species (that I'm aware of) is a sedentary group near Petrie about 20 kms away, after reading available literature it appears that small numbers often migrate up and down the east coast of Australia.
It has been an extraordinary couple of weeks in our garden as our grevilleas have burst into bloom, with many Scarlet, Brown, Lewin's, Yellow-faced, White-throated and White-naped Honeyeaters present along with Silvereyes, Rainbow Lorikeets, Noisy and Little Friarbirds.
Images of some of these and the Fuscous can be seen on the ABID at http://www.aviceda.org/abid/newimages.php

Now just waiting for migrant Cuckoos, Dollarbirds etc (no Channel-bills here yet though!)

Tom Tarrant

--
Tom & Marie Tarrant

http://www.aviceda.org