birding-aus

Painted Honeyeaters and a new cabin

Subject: Painted Honeyeaters and a new cabin
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:12:04 +1000
I was in the Capertee Valley on the weekend mainly to check on my new cabin which has replaced the one that burnt down (yes, finally!) and to plant some more trees on my block. The valley received a welcome 16mm of rain while I was there. Apart from this I managed to get up to the back dam on Saturday afternoon, which proved to be THE place to be.

The water was a constant hub of activity with countless honeyeaters - Fuscous, Yellow-tufted, Black-chinned, Yellow-faced, White-naped and Brown-headed - diving in and out, chattering, chasing, sipping, swooping, arguing and whooshing past my head. As I sat under the shrubs on the bank, a Diamond Firetail came to drink right by my feet at the water's edge, while a male Spotted Pardalote peered at me through the branches. A Grey Fantail perched on a stick in the middle of the water, doing nothing but watching the activity all around it. It seemed to be mesmerised, like me. In the hour or so I was at the dam, there was never a moment when birds weren't zipping in and out of the water.

Best of all, the Painted Honeyeaters had arrived and were calling loudly as they moved around the dam. Their sweet deliberate call is always such a thrill to hear. At the same time, a Dusky Woodswallow sat atop a dead tree mimicking the Painteds and adding to the confusion of sounds. The first Rufous Whistler was also singing, Little Lorikeets were everywhere and a Scarlet Honeyeater could be heard in the treetops. A pair of Turquoise Parrots came to drink as the sun glowed red on the cliffs above. Birdwatching doesn't get much better than this.

Cheers

Carol

Blue Mtns/Capertee Valley
Central Tablelands, NSW