birding-aus

NT to Kununurra

To: "BirdingAus BirdingAus" <>
Subject: NT to Kununurra
From: "Bob Cook" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:05:52 +1000

Hi all

Posting on behalf of Russ Lamb and Maria Dam, who are currently well into a 3 month+ trip across the North of Australia.  (What, me jealous!!!!!!).

They are currently in Kununurra, but Russ asked me to post the following items.

Sat, 10th Sept. morning - At Timber Creek airfield in North West Northern Territory, 4 non-breeding Oriental Plover.

Sun, 11th Sept. morning.  Kununurra in northern W.A. Initially sighted a Wedge-tailed Eagle knock a Magpie Goose out of the sky – out of a flock of Magpie Geese in the air and on the ground of around 1000 birds.  The WTE and another then briefly and mildly attacked the Goose on the ground, but then just “lost interest”.  Did they find the prey a bit too big???

In the same irrigation field, while going for a close look at the MG, they sighted two small groups or Wood Sandpiper – 3 or 4 in each.  Are these fairly common in this area at this time of year??  This field is in Mills Rd, Kununurra at the Ivanhoe Rd end.

In the same field, two non-breeding Golden Plover.

Just to whet your (and my) fantasies (is that a mixed metaphor?), Russ’s other special birds on this trip, so far, include:

Black Bittern (Ord River, today)

Chestnut Rail

Letter-winged Kite

Grey Falcon

Red Goshawk

Hooded Parrot

Chestnut-quilled Rock Pigeon

White-quilled Rock Pigeon

Carpentarian Grasswren

Purple-crowned Fairy-wren

Large-tailed Nightjar

The only real dip he has had so far is the White-throated Grasswren at Gunlom in Kakadu.  No-one has reported seeing them there for a few months now.

Bob Cook

Mildura VIC