birding-aus

Tassie Birding

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Tassie Birding
From: "David Siems" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 15:30:37 +1000

Hi Netters,

               After two years working to bring my home up to scratch I thought some birding was in order. I went to the coast 6km to the east of Devonport Airport with tree lined dirt road to the beach, a one km dirt road along the beach which is made up of little sand and plenty of rock outcrops. Twenty eight species were seen in the two hours starting with a pair of White-fronted Chats. On the sandy areas were a pair of Red-capped Plover, eight Ruddy Turnstone and unfortunately a one legged Grey-tailed Tattler still in breeding plumage. The bird flew along the beach and landed on the one leg and breast. Both Sooty and Pied Oystercatchers, with numerous Song Larks over head seeing who could out sing the other. When leaving a Fantail Cuckoo was singing away near a pair of Little Wattlebirds.

               I will check this area each month and will also take some plastic bags to pick up the few washed up plastic bottles and cans for recycling.

               My sister, Pauline, at Lapoinya reported a Flying Fox flying over her home near the flowering eucalypts. Checking my mammal book the Grey-headed Flying Fox seems to be close but with no proper ID will have to check again. When I mentioned the sighting to my brother he also said he had a Flying Fox over his home at Ulverstone.

All the Best

David Siems

Devonport

Tasmania