birding-aus

Trip to Griffith and the South Coast

Subject: Trip to Griffith and the South Coast
From: "Suzi Lewis" <>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 18:21:11 +1000
Hi All,

Although I've been a member of Birding Aus for some time now I've never posted anything. This is because I'm fairly new to birding and I've never thought that I've seen anything exciting enough to worth writing about. However, recently I've noticed that people still post regular sightings so I thought I'd give it a go.

In July I went on a trip to Griffith and then down to the South Coast before heading back to Sydney, and saw quite a number of species on the way. They're sort of in the order I first saw each one:

Crested pigeons
galahs
cockatoos
magpies (2 different races)
currawongs
crimson rosellas 5+
eastern rosellas 10+
apostlebirds 20+
australian wood ducks 6
australian ravens
australian ringnecks (race) 15+
pied butcherbirds 2
white-winged choughs 20+
nankeen kestrel 1
yellow-throated miners 2
red-rumped parrots 15+
purple swamphens 5+
straw-necked ibis 10+
black-shouldered kite
cattle egret
kookaburras
white-faced heron
sooty oystercatchers 3
red wattlebirds

Quite a few of them were new sightings for me, like the red-rumped parrots, Aust. ringnecks, straw-necked ibis, white winged choughs and sooty oystercatchers. I thought the 3 sooty oystercatchers were very cute waddling along the rock platform at Murramarang. And the white-winged choughs were also one of my favourites - whenever I made a movement while standing underneath the tree they were in, the whole group would start making these really bizarre alarm-like calls. It was quite funny for someone that's not heard it before. I'm quite keen on photography too (I have a Panasonic FZ20) and managed to get a few good pics of the sooty oystercatchers, pied butcherbird and some of the parrots.

A few days ago I also spotted a lone male red-rumped parrot sleeping in a tree by the Cooks river right near Sydney international airport. He was completely oblivious to the peak hour traffic roaring past or me standing beneath the tree.

That's all I have to report.

Cheers,
Suzi