birding-aus

Samford valley corvid oddity (SEQ)

Subject: Samford valley corvid oddity (SEQ)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:03:26 +1000
One week ago (Tuesday23 Aug), I had one of those birding moments that just doesn't go away -- on this occasion it's because I keep hearing the sound I heard then.
        The day was fine, warm, & calm, and at about 1.15 I was travelling from the town of Dayboro towards Samford. In a paddock off to my left I suddenly saw two raptors swooping down into a tree. I drew to the side, but stayed in the car (as it often proves a useful 'hide'). Sure enough, there was a nest there. As one of the birds flew about, the other remained, moving sticks around on the nest. Whistling Kites, it seemed... but they are not what I'm writing for here--
        I had very little time, & was watching the birds regretfully, knowing a child was waiting for me in the middle of Brisbane. I lowered the binoculars, and was just fixing the tree's location in my mind when I became aware of an uncanny call. Crows. Almost -- yes... crows, but -- singing!  Really singing.
        Back & forth across the paddock their husky song floated, the same tune over & over -- 'dah dah dah d'da' -- with that second-last half-syllable dropped lower. I have never heard this before, never heard crows actually sing. With perfect fidelity they sang it to each other again & again.
        Strange and lovely.

Judith
SEQ