birding-aus

Barn Owls

To: <>
Subject: Barn Owls
From: "Greg Clancy" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 23:24:46 +1000
Hi all,

The mention of Barn Owl roadkills prompted me to write this note. Every winter a number of Barn Owls are found roadkilled on north coast New South Wales roads and highways.  The past month has seen an unprecedented number killed on the Pacific Highway.  On a trip north from Grafton to the Byron Bay area 8 separate birds were noted on the one day.  The tally for the period 27 July to 27 August was 28.  Ten Southern Boobooks have also been found as well as two Grass Owls on the one day.  A female Masked Owl was found dead south of Grafton by a Country Energy employee, Mick, last week and is presently in the NPWS freezer awaiting transportation to the Australian Museum.  Apparently a third Grass Owl was found dead near Grafton the week before my two.

It has certainly been a big month for owl roadkills.  If people find it hard to identify owl roadkills I had an identification key published in the journal 'Corella' December 2004, Vol 28 No. 4  Page 92, which should be of help.

Regards

Greg