birding-aus

Sea watch from Maroubra - Saturday 27th August 2005

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Sea watch from Maroubra - Saturday 27th August 2005
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:39:32 +1000

Graham Turner, Rod Gardner and I enjoyed a good afternoon yesterday (Saturday 27th August 2005) sea watching from Magic Pt at Maroubra (approx. 10km south of Sydney CBD). Winds were mainly light and southerly most of the afternoon with light rain and a nice rainbow well off the coast from where we were watching.

The highlight that afternoon being a very close in NORTHERN GIANT PETREL (even when a few Ginat Petrels do come within a km from the coast, you need to be very careful in separating the Northern from a Southern Giant Petrel and vice versa as many can be quite tricky). Another quite close in individual could have been a Southern Giant Petrel but we were not 100 sure. Also very good was a extremely close sighting of an adult Campbell Island Albatross (close enough to even see its pale iris besides its distinct under wing markings). For good entertainment, the sighting of a Brown Skua pursuing an Australasian Gannet only about a km or so from the shore certainly achieved this. The Brown Skuas were also pursuing the Wedge-tailed Shearwaters which have recently arrived from further north. Good views of just about all the sea birds were had that afternoon (many sea birds know how to turn just in time before they hit the cliff!!).

A list of seabirds species and the minimum numbers seen for the afternoon from Magic Pt is as follows:

Black-browed Albatross (2)

Campbell Island Albatross (1)

Yellow-nosed Albatross (14)

Shy Albatross (3)

Northern Giant Petrel (1)

Giant Petrel species unidentified (3)

Wedge-tailed Shearwater (300 plus)

Fluttering Shearwater (Rod saw a few before Graham and I arrived at Magic Pt)

Australasian Gannet (200)

Little Black Cormorant (6)

Great Cormorant (1)

Brown Skua (6)

Silver Gulls (300)

Crested Tern (12)

Just before we had left Maroubra about 6 pm, Graham and I also heard the Lewins Rail call in the heath beside one of the swamps south of Maroubra Beach.

A great afternoon indeed!

Edwin Vella