birding-aus

Mosman Owl or Frogmouth?

To: Bob McKenzie <>,
Subject: Mosman Owl or Frogmouth?
From: Charles Hunter <>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 18:30:36 +1000 (EST)
Hi Bob,

The only owl I've seen in Mosman was a Powerful Owl in October 2001 at the end of Whiting Beach Road (at the back of the Zoo). As a novice birder I didn't believe my eyes until later that week I read in the Mosman local paper there had been Powerful Owl sightings in the area.

On several occasions I have seen Tawny Frogmouths in Beauty Point (aka Mosman - most likely the same pair). Beauty Point is just round the corner from the location you give below. Earlier this year my parents had a pair sleeping for a few weeks (during the day) on a powerline protected slightly by a palm. I could get within a couple of metres from them standing on a balcony. They occasionally opened their large eyes and where quite undisturbed by my presence.

Could it be a Tawny?

Regards,
Charles Hunter
Kings Cross, Sydney

Bob McKenzie <> wrote:

I just read this item in today's 'Column 8' of the Sydney Morning  Herald.  Can any of Birding-Oz subscribers answer this question?

Cheers,

Bob McKenzie

"Can anyone tell me, is the owl in the tree at the corner of Awaba Street and The Spit, Mosman, real?" asks Liz Latchford, of somewhere near there, presumably.  You'd think that the longer it sits there, the less likely it is to be real, but then again, they're inscrutable birds.  No, you never really know with owls.

Do you Yahoo!?
Exclusive 'King Kong' Trailer from the maker of 'The Lord of the Rings'