birding-aus

Owl at Western Treatment Plant, Werribee

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Owl at Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:39:41 +1000

Doug Blood and Denis O’Connor were down at eh WTP on Friday morning.  They started to trail the Aus. Bittern from the Borrow Pit and it lead them on a merry chase, from 15E Lagoons back to the Borrow Pit, the bird kept landing on the levees.  They both assured me that they did not cause the bird any harassment;  rather the bird seemed to be having fun at their expense. (petrol is now $1:25 per litre!)

Close to the 145 W Lagoons near the new construction site they were amazed to see what appeared to be a football, it was actually the top of the head of an Owl, is it a Barn or Masked?  It was about 10-30am . Doug went into photography mode, the bird kept flying a short distance and landed out in the open.  They came so close to it they were concerned that it may be ill.

It then held out its wing as though broken.

Is this the behavior of an owl who is trying to decoy intruders from its nest?

On their way out of the Treatment Plant past the borrow pit they encountered the Bittern and this time they do have a photo to prove it.

The bird was well disguised, as it appeared to be sitting at about 45 “and just looked like another log

Doug and Denis again assured me that they did not harass the birds, they kept a reasonable distance and only drove very slowly.

Can I forward a copy of the photo of the Owl to someone to identify, please?

Shirley Cameron
Werribee
3030

Upgrade Your Email - Click here!