birding-aus

Gouldian Finches on Cape York

To: "Birding hotline" <>
Subject: Gouldian Finches on Cape York
From: "Klaus Uhlenhut" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:53:47 +1000

Hi everyone!

I usually don’t write much to Birding-aus, as to me any email might look like advertising, but there are exceptions.

This is one of them, as it is an important sighting.

Cape York, Red Goshawk site near Musgrave/Lotus Bird Lodge

9.7. 2005

Observers: Peter and Annette O’Reilly

At about 10.00 am while waiting at the nest site for the Red Goshawk an immature Gouldian Finch was spotted on the ground. Peter and Annette couldn’t believe their eyes, and while watching a group of about 12 flew of the ground into the tall gum trees. While looking for the group of finches in the tree one red faced Gouldian was seen, others had black faces.

They eventually landed on the ground again and fed on the ground before flying off after about 8 – 10 minutes observation.

Peter and Annette rand Sue Shephard from Artemis Station to tell the news.

Sue told me about the sighting on the 11.7., and it sounded unbelievable, as the habitat is so different (very tall and quite dense gum trees, spaced almost like rainforest trees, not like open woodland at all) from their normal preferred areas.

Still, how could you mistake Gouldian Finches, and specially from birders like Peter and Annette. I had no time to check it out, as I had to be at Iron Range the following day.

19.7. 2005

Observers: Brian & Coralie Holmes, Heatherbell Mellor,  Martha Vincinus, Nancy Symonds and myself.

On return with my group from Iron Range we also stopped as usual at the Red Goshawk site. At 16.15 while waiting for the Goshawk and always looking for movement we saw a group of about 12 small birds flying into a tall gum tree. It took a while with the scope to find them, but luckily with the wind blowing we could see Gouldian Finches perched between the leaves. At least one red faced and 3 black faced finches were in the scope, and several juveniles. The most we saw in the scope at a time were 7 finches. Delightful!

After about 20 minutes the flock flew off.

I am not sure, but Ron Stannard recons, that these sightings are the first since about 1970 of Gouldian Finches on Cape York.

Isn’t it great!!!

                                    Happy birding,

                                                               Klaus

P.S. Yes, the Goshawk did turn up for Peter and Annette plus for our group. Let’s hope they don’t hunt Gouldians!!!!

Klaus & Brenda Uhlenhut

Kirrama Wildlife Tours

PO Box 1400

Innisfail    QLD   4860