birding-aus

Bird of prey in my backyard

To: <>
Subject: Bird of prey in my backyard
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:38:21 +1000

Crested Hawk was what came to my mind when I read Jana's posting, because of
the barring, but the crest surely would have been obvious?

Crested Hawks were present on Tamborine Mountain (inland from the Gold
Coast) when I was growing up there in the 1930s.  My mother, a keen observer
of the local natural history, told me that unlike other hawks they did not
eat other birds, but fed on insects.  To my child's mind this seemed an
admirable characteristic and so they were my favourite hawk species.  Also
their call was so easy to recognise.

But there's an implication in Bill Jolly's comment that maybe they do take
small birds.

Anyone on birding-aus observed this?

Syd