birding-aus

Masked Lapwings..which race is where in the North?

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Masked Lapwings..which race is where in the North?
From: "Del Richards" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 21:56:48 +1000
Greetings from NQ.

In the Mossman (NQ.) area the normal Masked Lapwings are of the race 'miles'  which have a neat black cap very much accentuated by an almost bizzare yellow facial mask. Whenever I travel south I have to become familiar to seeing the southern race 'novaehollandae' with the amount of black even though I grew up amongst these birds.

About three years ago a female of the southern race was firstly located at Cooyar Beach near the Mossman River. She paired off with a northern (seen to mate) about that time.
    In recent weeks I have noted a number of "hybrid" individuals, one about 20 kms northward near the Daintree River Crossing and also two individuals in a flock of eight at Julatten (400m). and 18 kms inland.
    I observed the original female in a large group (18+) near Port Douglas this week and in the group were two birds carrying black forward of the shoulders.
    Is this an indication that the southern race is encroaching on the northern population?
    On the other hand do any observers have evidence of recent racial integration ocurring further south along coastal areas?

Del. Richards, Fine Feather Tours, Mossman, NQ.