birding-aus

A day out in East Arnhem Land

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: A day out in East Arnhem Land
From: "M&VGardner" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:38:17 +0930
G'day all

Went birding today around Numbulwar which is on the coast between Roper Bar (Ngukurr) and Nhulunbuy in the Northern Territory after recently moving up here from North-west Queensland.

First stop, Numbulwar STP were over 50 Radjah Shelducks, Hardheads, Grey Teal, Pacific Black Ducks and suprisingly Pink-eared Ducks

We got bogged on a salt pan as we were heading towards some good mangroves where we saw plenty of active Red-headed Honeyeaters getting ready to breed, Rufous-banded Honeyeaters, White-bellied Cuckoo-Shrike, Yellow White-eyes, Azure Kingfisher, Brahminy Kite, Broad-billed and Shining Flycatcher and Torresian Crow (Richards Pipits also on the saltpan). We managed to get out of the bog and then took an old road to the Rose River Crossing (Policeman's Crossing) and added Silver-crowned and Little Friarbird, Striated Pardalote and good numbers of Singing Honeyeaters feeding on the Fern-leaved Grevilleas (Grevillea pteridifolia).  These are the closest I've seen Singing Honeyeaters to the coast (in coastal shrubland right behind mangroves).  I was begining to wonder that I hadnt seen many raptors when we spotted a Wedge-tailed Eagle.

At Policemans Crossing there is a small patch of riparian monsoon vine forest where there was a Lemon-bellied Flycatcher but not much else other than the Northern Australian form of the Blue-faced Honeyeater with their white underwings and Great Bowerbirds (which are literally everywhere up here).  A few Little, Black-faced and White-breasted Woodswallows were spotted nearby as were lots of Tree Martins. After we went to Policeman's Crossing, we headed back towards Numbulwar and headed into Wumadjbarr Homeland where we saw our first Black-chinned Honeyeater (Golden-backed form) from around Numbulwar (seen them plenty of times in North-west Queensland before) and a huge mixed flock of Masked, Long-tailed and Double-barred Finches.  The Double-bars and Masked must have bred recently as there was still juveniles of both species begging for food off their parents.  On the way out of Wumadjbarr we saw a Brown Goshawk and shortly after a Swamp Harrier

Before Numbulwar, there's a turn off up to Nhulunbuy where we headed up and found a bush track out to Rocky Point (approx. 20k's North of Numbulwar).  We set up for afternoon tea around a freshwater billabong along this track, but were surprised with the lack of activity as it was becomming quite late in the afternoon, it was overcast and there was a strong easterly blowing in from the beach.  We did manage to find some movement from some shrubs where we spotted about 15 Crimson Finches, lots of Brown and White-throated Honeyeaters and a Bar-breasted and a White-gaped Honeyeater.

On the way home we added Northern Rosella and Black-tailed Treecreepers to our day's list.

Numbulwar is interesting because the surrounding region has been subject to limited atlas surveys, let alone traversed by birders because the roads are pretty shocking and its in the middle of Aboriginal Land.  We've been surprised that theres a lot of birds from drier regions such as Singing Bushlarks, Singing Honeyeaters, Australian Bustards but also typical coastal and top-end birds.

To top the day off I was welcomed home at dusk by the strong "Choi-choi-choi-choi" of a Large-tailed Nightjar in the bush at the back of our house.

Cheers
Marc
Numbulwar NT