birding-aus

Manly Harbour Roost & Duraki State Forest, Qld

Subject: Manly Harbour Roost & Duraki State Forest, Qld
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 07:58:06 +1000
Following a report of Double-banded Plovers at the Manly harbour roost
last week I paid a visit on Friday (15th - sorry it's late)at the
afternoon high tide.
I hadn?t actually visited the roost in winter before and was surprised
at the variety of waders still present ? presumably over wintering. 31
Eastern Curlews, 5 Bar-tailed Godwits,  ~40 Red-necked Stints and 9
Curlew Sands were more or less expected, but 2 Terek Sands, 1 Turnstone
and ~45 Grey-tailed Tattlers were nice to see. It was especially nice as
one wasn?t overwhelmed by the usual masses of birds and could enjoy the
one on one with the different species a lot easier! It was very windy on
Friday and there were a number of Terns roosting as well ? 11 Caspian,
17 Gull-billed, 3 Crested and (finally for me) 2 Lesser Crested! The
usual Pied Oystercatchers, Pelicans, Silver Gulls and Little Pied
Cormorants were supplemented by a larger than normal number of
Black-Winged Stilts (68), 20-30 Golden plover and ~30 Lesser Sand
Plovers ? the latter 2 species hiding in the vegetation on the island.
One of the Caspian Terns had an Orange flag on it?s Lower Right leg and
one of the Curlews a Green flag on it?s Upper Left? I have reported
these elsewhere.
I didn?t see any Double-banded Plovers, but neglected, for some reason,
to check the mud pan with the high sides. I usually do have a look in
there, but didn?t and in conversation with Dave Houghton (local man on
the spot!) since, suspect that was where the birds were on Friday. ?..
Oh well ? back again next weekend!!

I drove on up the coast, checking the Gulls along the esplanade, to the
boat harbour. There were lots of Gulls and Pelicans at the fishing Co-op
and a Striated Heron out on the groin exposed to the whole world! As I
sat, huge flocks of Little Black Cormorants appeared from the north. I
would estimate approximately 600 birds in 3 or 4 large loose groups, an
amazing sight as they spiralled around and down towards
Thorneside/Cleveland. Heading on out to Fisherman?s Island a check of
the roost at North Wynnum from the road revealed a few Red-necked
Avocet, ~ 20 Royal Spoonbills and Little and Great Egrets. A quick stop
off at the developing roost on Fisherman?s to see the hides and walkways
taking shape ? looking good for next Summer!

Saturday and off to Duraki State Forest. I planned to sleep the night to
be on the spot first thing in the morning! Two and a half hours and 200
kms later and I pulled in beside the pond and set myself up ? chair,
scope, coffee, sandwiches. A few Yellow-plumed Honeyeaters buzzed
around, but otherwise quiet. Time of day? 15.30, a little windy, cold,
clear. I slept in the car as camping is not an option? Quite comfortable
- despite it being a Suzuki Sierra.
Up at dawn and eagerly scanning the trees, pond banks ect? nothing, not
a sausage. No finches, no exotic or ?different? honeyeaters. 2
Yellow-faced Honeyeaters and 1 Eastern Yellow Robin were the only other
visitors, apart from the Y-Plumed. I sat it out till 10.00 and decided
that more time would only be wasted.
Is it the recent rain that has provided water elsewhere? Is it too early
in the season? Has the drought been so bad that the finches and
honeyeaters have moved on?  Or was it just the luck of the draw? Is it
lack of food tress in the immediate area? Last year the spot was hot,
this year very, very quiet. A drive around a few of the nearby sealed
and unsealed roads revealed nothing else of interest either, so I headed
back to Warwick to top up for the drive home (ULP 99.9c/l in Warwick!)
and home.
--
  Colin Reid

So many birds, so little time......