birding-aus

Capertee Valley (NSW) 16th July

To: <>
Subject: Capertee Valley (NSW) 16th July
From: "Simon Blanchflower" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 10:11:08 +1000
Hi all, tempted by the emails of Capertee visits /  news, went up there yesterday and despite the overcast, cool weather had an excellent day (as usual).

Clearly there were lots and lots of White-Plumbed Honeyeaters, Fuscous Honeyeaters, and Little Lorikeets almost everywhere in the valley.

At Glenowlan Bridge saw a single Regent Honeyeater but heard one other calling in the area. Further down this road after about 5kms saw 2 Swift Parrots, and lots of Red-Rumped Parrots and even more Zebra Finches mixed with Double-Barred Finches (easily over 200) a little further on. At the beginning of this road was a single Restless Flycatcher and a Brown Treecreeper.

Along the main Capertee rd saw 2 Speckled Warblers, a Variegated Fairy-Wren, and Brown Thornbill all in the same close range binocular view!! This area was really good for other birds like Spotted Pardalote and Black-Chinned Honeyeater as well as Southern Whiteface (if you are travelling from Capertee its on the southern side of the road about 300yrds past a property called "The Alice"). Also in this area I'm pretty sure I saw 4 Painted Honeyeaters - I lost them almost as quick as I found them - noticed very striking contrast between black upper and clean white underparts and clealry saw white patches towards the tips of the undertail in flight (don't think any other HE's meet this description from a first immpressions perpective). Has anyone seen these in this area before or has any comments on first impression appearance?

Along Crown Station road heaps and heaps of Little Lorikeet, also a Brown Treecreeper, White-Naped Honeyeater, White-Browed Babbler, Hooded Robin and lots of Fuscous Honeyeaters flying around and calling.

Other birds included more Speckled Warblers along the Glen Davis Rd, a few Wedge-Tailed Eagles overhead on a number of occasions, White-Winged Chough was another very common bird, Common Bronzewing (3 seen at different place), Weebill, Jacky Winter, Brown Falcon (nr Glen Alice) Dusky Woodswallow and lots of Noisy Friarbirds feeding on blooming Eucalyptus.

Not a bad day at all, saw 60 species it total, even though it was windy, cold and overcast!!!

Cheers
Simon.