birding-aus

Back in Melbourne- Grey Goshawk, Winchelsea - RFI Grampians

Subject: Back in Melbourne- Grey Goshawk, Winchelsea - RFI Grampians
From: Paul Rose <>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 11:47:47 +0700
Hello one and all,

I have enjoyed listening in on all the news and findings over the past year
from Chiang Mai, Thailand.  Back in Melbourne for three glorious crisp, sunny
weeks, or so it feels after the last few days down Anglesea way.
Enjoyed a glorious welcome doing some house-sitting down in Gherang Hamlet,
Winchelsea, where I was delighted to observe my first ever Grey Goshawk, a
white morph hunting low at first and then rising to head off in an easterly
direction. Quite a stunning raptor!  Very birdy in general and a sheer delight
viewing so many local species so easily in the eucalypts - a far cry from the
rainforests of Doi Inthanon and Doi Chiang Dao an hour or so from my current
"home".
Planning to get up to the Grampians for the 18th-20th of this month and would
be very interested in knowing of the best locations from Halls Gap to search
for Chestnut-rumped Heathwren, Speckled Warbler (are they resident or do they
migrate northward), Spotted Quail-Thrush and Black-chinned Honeyeater.  Many
thanks in advance for any assistance with that and I would be happy to help
anyone who is thinking of birding northern Thailand (Chiang Mai) in the coming
year or two as I will remain teaching there for at least that time.

Always a pleasure, good birding,

Paul