birding-aus

Re: migratory birds and avian flu

To: <>
Subject: Re: migratory birds and avian flu
From: "JAP" <>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 12:56:14 +0930
It was stated in this thread that "Scientists have been swabbing migratory waders in this country for over a decade (that I am aware of) and, as far as I know, haven't come up with one positive result".

I don't know what the specific situation is for migratory waders but migratory aquatic birds regularly bring bird flu to this country - as a Google will find (and this has been discussed on Birding-Aus previously e.g. Feb 2004).

Googling reveals that, in migratory aquatic birds which had come to Australia, flu antibodies were first found back in the 1960s - and live flu virus in the early 1970s.  A couple of names to look for are WG (Graeme) Laver FRS and Robert G (Rob) Webster FRS.

JAP