birding-aus

migratory birds and avian flu

Subject: migratory birds and avian flu
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 15:24:29 +1000
Hi Chris

I read the BBC article and felt that it was quite balanced.  It didn't
overdramatise the situation but also indicated that there is a very
real possibility of the situation getting worse.  I think that it would
be quite irresponsible of them (scientists and the media) not to
consider the chance of it spreading more widely, particularly since
it has now been found in several wild species (geese and gulls)
in addition to domestic poultry.

I would also find it surprising if the AQIS testing had "have never
found anything at all".  I suppose it depends what you mean by
"anything"  but my (very limited) understanding is that there are
many varieties of avian flu and some/many of our wild birds do
have antibodies to some of them.  I was involved in the catching
and banding side of a project on avian flu here about ten years ago
and at the local vet farm we found some ducks and doves had
antibodies to avian flu.  Unfortunately the funding was pulled before
we could get beyond the pilot project.

I suppose the danger is that the local media might beat this up into
a "scare story" but I must say I found the BBC article factual and
responsible.

Pete