birding-aus

Moved!

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Moved!
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:30:27 +1000
Dear All,
After a six-month silence on birding-aus, I am pleased to report that I am now
living in a new home in Uralla on the NSW northern tablelands, where I propose
along with some other local birders to keep an eye on the local lagoon (Dangars
Lagoon, about 5 kms out of town) and otherwise contribute what I can to the
local birding scene.
Since the drought broke (the day we moved in) conditions for birding have not
been good, with almost incessant drizzle and mist, and even the odd flurry of
snow. The lagoon's water is up a bit, but has a long way to go to reach even
average levels. Those reeds that had not died back in winter have virtually
gone under water, so that there is little cover for birds. The rarer ducks that
were there only a few months ago (Freckled, Blue-billed) are all gone. On a
brief visit last weekend the only diving ducks I found were four
depressed-looking Hardheads. Most unusual bird for here was a solitary
Red-capped Plover along the shoreline.
Plenty of birds in our new garden, though too many Currawongs are a worry. Most
interesting is a female Flame Robin. I have seen others in the area, but not
found a male in our own backyard yet.
Cheers,
John Clifton-Everest