birding-aus

More birds out there than previously thought

Subject: More birds out there than previously thought
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 20:41:21 +1000
Hello all,

I also found David's paper interesting. However, many of Andrew's points are well made.

External appearance is certainly a major means of diagnosis of species in birds- obviously because birds are often so colourfully and distinctly plumaged. Mammals, particularly small ones, are usually variations of brown and grey with often great amounts of variation between individuals. In mammals, external appearance is often a poor means of separating species with a fair amount of overlap as opposed to the often clear differences in birds, ie an eyebrow being black or white! (as opposed to usually greyish-brown in contrast to usually brownish-grey!). I suspect that if external appearance could be used more often with other classes of animal it would be.

Nevertheless, I think that David's opinion that possibly good species are getting overlooked is worth considering. The level of variation between populations of birds is rarely adequately measured. Those who record bird calls (such as the Wildlife Audio Sound Recording Group) are acutely aware of how much variation occurs within separated populations of common species. This is putting aside the issue of whether or not the calls are audible to us or not. Could any of these different calling populations be hidden separate species? Well possibly...

Works such as the monumental Directory of Australian Birds (Vol 1) have attempted to describe the variation at a finer level using ultrataxa. This was mostly based on external appearance (skins) and internal morphology (bones) but used other info if it was available. Many Australian birds haven't had their genetic variation determined between what we now call species let alone between different populations. Analysis of behavioural differences between populations hasn't been done.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we know very little about most of our birds and I don't know that it is so much a bias away from methods other than external appearance. It's more that we don't have much of the other info- you use what you have don't you?

Cheers

Mick

Michael Todd Wildlifing Images & Sounds of Nature
Latest Additions: The Awaba Forest
www.wildlifing.com
Toronto, NSW, Australia 04101 23715