birding-aus

More birds out there than previously thought

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: More birds out there than previously thought
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:07:51 +1000
Ricki Coughlan wrote:
[snip]
> Given that birds hear sounds up to 200 cycles per second, versus the
> roughly 20 cycles per second of humans ...

I assume you meant "kilocycles per second" (kiloHertz, kHz) rather than
"cycles per second" (Hertz, Hz.)

While the theory is certainly interesting, I'd like to see some comparisons
done between David's methodology and genetic analysis, which is turning up
some remarkable taxonomic discoveries of its own.  If there is a strong
correlation between the two, then David's methodology prevents a much
simpler tool to use in the field than DNA analysis.