birding-aus

Song Sleuth

Subject: Song Sleuth
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:02:54 +1000
On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 09:23:56AM +1000, Peter Ewin wrote:
> Anyway the idea is a good one, but I wait for the binoculars that have a
> database of identifyting features and automatically calculate what species
> you are looking at and put a litle text label at the top of your view.

Might be a little while.  Right now I've a camera with computer attached
pointing out my office window which photographs every bird (and aeroplane)
that flies past, e.g.:  http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~andrewt/raven.jpg

Wide angle picture of inner city birds aren't exciting but the computer
can hold ~100,000 high resolution images and will operate off solar
power.  With a bit of work hopefully it'll sit in the field for a year
photographing every bird or animal that comes past.

> Analysis of bat echolocation (Anabat) has been
> around since the early nineties,

People at Cornell Ornithology were building system to do automatic
identification of bat calls in the field yet but I haven't heard how they
are going.  We've been doing automatic identification of frog calls in
the field for some years.  There are pics of our equipment on my home
page at: http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~andrewt/

Birds are more difficult so it'll be interesting to see how well this
Song Sleuth does.

Andrew