birding-aus

A garden first in Turramurra (N Sydney)

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: A garden first in Turramurra (N Sydney)
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 22:29:48 +1000
Hi all
was on my deck this afternoon finishing the weekend paper when a large
commotion from the Noisy Miners made me look up - they were chasing a Brown
Cuckoo Dove (or Brown Pigeon) out of "their" patch.  I have never seen one
in the garden before - I wonder if it was after the fruit on the Lilli Pilli
in the garden (now mostly finished but a few orange berries left).

Other good "garden" birds this weekend were principally raptors - a Pacific
Baza, a Brown Goshawk (2x) and a Sparrowhawk - the latter did a deck level
pass through the garden at high speed on Saturday morning but didn't connect
with anything.

Also, I visited Cumberland State Forest this morning with my daughter and
some friends - I think the Boobook has moved on from the roost on the
Sensory Trail - I think primarily because the low level Cabbage Palms where
he/she used to roost have lost lots of fronds and the cover isn't nearly as
good.  Has it been seen there or elsewhere in the Forest recently?

Cheers
Tom Wilson