birding-aus

Hooded Monarch

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Hooded Monarch
From: Sue Gregory <>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 08:33:40 +1000
Just back from a PNG trip and very interested to see a couple of pics of the possible Hooded Monarch, a species I have seen a few times around Lae and Madang on the north slope of the island, and also at Kiunga in swamp forest along the Fly River, where it is very scarce and elusive.
For what it's worth:
This is an odd bird but but I fear clearly not a Hooded Monarch. I think the structure indicates a Myiagra and not a Monarcha, with the longish tail and broad based bill and a hint of a peaked crown. Hooded Monarch is black above, not grey, and the black on the chest comes down as a bib further than on this bird, with white sides to the bib shape. Wings, tail and mantle colour look like typical Leaden Flycatcher to me, but the apparently bluish bill is anomalous for sure. Are hybrids with Satin Flycatcher recorded? That might explain the dark head and chest. Clearly a very strange beast, I wonder what it sounded like? Hooded Monarch has a plaintive whistled series typical of the black and white monarchs in NG, nothing like the calls of Leaden Flycatcher.
Cheers
Phil Gregory