birding-aus

TORRES STRAIT; Proposed cruise in November 2005

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: TORRES STRAIT; Proposed cruise in November 2005
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 19:03:21 +1000
    In August/September 2002 I ran two trips to Torres Strait using a yacht
for transport and accommodation. I'm planning another for November this
year, 2005, using a different vessel and an itinerary that optimizes our
time in the likely most productive areas. This and some details are given
below. There are 10 berths available and these must be filled or paid for.
The cost per person is $2,960.00. To confirm the cruise we must each pay a
deposit to Pelican Expeditions of $860.00 by 1st July and the balance of
$2,100.00 by 1st October.

At this stage I am the contact and would welcome expressions of interest
ASAP.
Tue. 22             Board at Horn Island from 15.00.Qantas planes depart
from Cairns for the 2-hour flight at 07.55 & 12.40. Through flights from
Melbourne and Sydney are available.
Wed. 23         Boigu. Arrive by dawn and moor off settlement. Go ashore at
first light returning to the boat for meals. Stay three days. Spend one or
more days around the settlement, and penetrate deeper into the island on one
day. On at least one day over the high tide, take the dinghies from the
north through the 'river' that divides the island to the south coast and
visit the camping area to the east. If possible, on one day circumnavigate
the island, landing where accessible. Local assistance may be desirable.

Thu. 24           Boigu.

Fri. 25             Boigu. Sail in evening or during night to Dauan (c.2.5
hrs.).

Sat. 26            Dauan. Go ashore at first light and perhaps again after
breakfast. Sail to Saibai (c.1.0 hr.) late morning and moor off the
settlement. Go ashore after lunch until dusk.

Sun. 27           Saibai. Either today or tomorrow over the high tide, use
the dinghies to explore the creek that penetrates the north coast. Local
guidance may be desirable.

Mon. 28          Saibai. If thought desirable and possible, use half-a-day
to circumnavigate the island, landing if there are opportunities. Leave
after dark to sail to Dove Islet (54+ Nm, say 5 hrs.) to arrive there by
dawn.

Tue. 29           Dove Islet and on to Sue Island. Early morning, ashore for
say 2 hours on Dove Islet then sail (c. 2.0 hrs.) on to Sue (Warraber)
Island for most of the remainder of the day ashore. Overnight to Horn.

Wed. 30         Arrive Horn Island by 09.00. Fly out at 10.20 or 15.10.
Through flights to Melbourne and Sydney are available.

NOTES. The itinerary is subject to change due to weather, tides, currents
etc. I will seek landing permission for all islands but no problems are
envisaged. Written approval is almost never given. Pelican to provide two
two-way radios to enable shore parties to contact boat for pick-ups. Some
landings will be wet and muddy. Accommodation is available on Horn or nearby
Thursday Island if required. Consult your doctor regarding inoculations.
Information on the boat, (a 19 m sailed catamaran), other logistical data,
bird lists and advice re clothing are, or will be, available (contact me).
The weather will be hot and humid and the boat is not air-conditioned but is
specially designed for tropical conditions and I am assured that it will be
comfortable.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930