birding-aus

Hawkesbury 150505 (60KMS nw Sydney)

To: <>
Subject: Hawkesbury 150505 (60KMS nw Sydney)
From: "Simon Blanchflower" <>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 17:39:57 +1000
Well I reckon one of the best places to be this morning was Pitt Town lagoon. Saw 60 species there in just under three hours.  Spectacular views of a Swamp Harrier trying to catch a Purple Swamp Hen - at one point the SH actually pickup a PSH about 3 feet off the ground and dropped it. It kept coming back for renewed attempts - this went on for about 20 minutes - the PSH's grouped together while the hunt was on to increase the defence. Eventually the SH got too tiered and landed in reeds. Saw  other interesting birds that had been reported recently including 10 Freckled Duck, 2 Black-Tailed Native Hen (these were well over the far side (east / north/east) a single Glossy Ibis and a single Restless Flycatcher. Plenty of finches were around also today including good numbers of Zebra Finches, others included Chestnut-Breasted Mannikin, Nutmeg Mannikin, Red-Browed Finch and Double-Barred Finch. The usual ducks were in good numbers particularly Pink-Eared and Australian-Shoveler. Also of interest was a single Mallard as well as a few Hoary-Headed Grebes.

Good number of Red-Kneed Dotteral were present, possibley the most I have seen here - they were well dispersed around the lagoon particularly common over the eastern side of the lagoon - I didn't get a formal count but I would think that there would have been about 40 (+/-) individuals. Also a couple of Black-Fronted Dotteral were present. Also flushed 4 Brown Quail from long grass beside the lagoon.

A very enjoyable morning!
Simon.