birding-aus

Prospect Reservoir, NSW (Swift Parrot Survey) - 14th May 2005

To: <>
Subject: Prospect Reservoir, NSW (Swift Parrot Survey) - 14th May 2005
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 14:45:31 +1000

Despite not seeing any sign of either of the target species -  Swift Parrots or Regent Honeyeaters in yesterdays survey (14/5/05), It was still nice to be out and about for a couple of hours in the early morning at Prospect Reservoir (approx. 35-40km west of Sydney CBD near Blacktown).

There were very few Honeyeaters about in the picnic area, with only a few Yellow-faced and White-plumed Honeyeaters as well as the Noisy Miners. However, there were a number of raptors about including a pair of magnificent Wedge-tailed Eagles (they put on a show for several minutes as they soared very low over the tree canopy and even below), 3 White-bellied Sea-eagles (an adult pair and a Immature bird), 4 Whistling Kites and Peregrine Falcon put on an excellent show quite close and at eye level with me as I watched for several minutes from the lookout (I never get sick of looking at Peregrines even though I can see them at home everyday ! The one at home is probably the same bird as the one at Prospect Reservoir).

Also on the Reservoir were 3,000 Coots, 3 species of Grebe (a raft of about 40 Hoary-headed and there was at least one Great-crested Grebe in non-breeding plumage. I have not seen one of the later in this plumage despite seeing them just about every time the time at the Reservoir), 8 Hardhead, 35 Black Swan, 75 Australian Pelican and about 200 Silver Gulls. Bar-shouldered Doves and an abundance of Red-whiskered Bulbuls were also about near the lookout.

Last Sunday morning (8/5/05), I was also at Prospect Reservoir with the bird banding team in the northern part of the Reservoir, where I also saw a number of raptors including a Grey Goshawk (1), Swamp Harrier (1 female), White-bellied Sea-eagles (2 adults), Whistling Kites (4) and a Peregrine Falcon. There were also Fan-tailed Cuckoos, several Rose Robins, Crested Shrike-tits, Varied Sitellas, several Scarlet Honeyeaters (but not many other species of Honeyeater) and Olive-backed Orioles amongst other birds.

Edwin Vella