birding-aus

Strange bird. Yungaburra, Atherton Tablelands

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Strange bird. Yungaburra, Atherton Tablelands
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 09:18:41 +1000
G'day,

The bird in question was seen in good light while it flew about 50 metres. It came towards me, over my head and then continued on. The most distinctive thing was the flight pattern. As the bird flew it swooped or rocked from side to side while the flight path remained relatively flat. I guess that it rocked to each side about 30 degrees from the horizontal, leaving the median line by no more than 400 mm Pale below and grey above, my first reaction was White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike. It was though more slight in build. There was white on the outside of the tail but the back appeared fairly uniform mid to light grey. I thought Wagtail but it is some time since I have seen one fly and there did not seem to be any black or white above except in the outer tali feathers. While I can live without knowing what it was, I am very curious and would appreciate the input of the list.
Regards,
Alan Gillanders