birding-aus

CITRINE WAGTAIL

To: "Lorne Johnson" <>, <>
Subject: CITRINE WAGTAIL
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 13:22:27 +1000

On the topic of wagtails, I was interested to read in Pizzey and Knight just how extensive the distribution of Citrine Wagtails are in Australia. Has anyone on this list ever seen one? What exact records are there.

REPLY from Mike Carter

There are only two accepted records from Australia. One from the Sydney region, Woolaware Bay, in July 1962 (McGill in Emu 1962) and one from Gawler in SA in late May early June 1987 (Holder et al. in SA Ornithologist, 1988). I twitched and photographed the latter and as of today, I'm still alive and on this list!
As for the map in Pizzey, the one claim from Darwin that I know of was of a bird identified by call in flight and is unacceptable and one from the Cairns region that I know of was based on a common misconception that a double wing bar is diagnostic of Citrine Wagtail. Strong double wing bars are normal in immature Yellow Wagtails. So Pizzey was only half right.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930
Ph:  (03) 9787 7136