birding-aus

Invasive Bird Poll - and real threats

To: Chris Sanderson <>
Subject: Invasive Bird Poll - and real threats
From: peter crow <>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 14:32:36 +1000
Well said Chris,

It seems that humans are very slow learners.

Peter
On Wednesday, May 4, 2005, at 01:52 PM, Chris Sanderson wrote:

You guys say you're not against importing "harmless" birds or plants,
but they thought the Cane Toad was harmless when they brought that in.
 They thought Rainbow Lorikeets and Laughing Kookaburras would be
harmless in Perth ("They're native to Australia, right?").  I can see
very little excuse for bringing more exotic plants and animals into
our already troubled ecosystems.  In 2004 my ecology lecturer imparted
to us that exotic plants are being introduced into the wild in this
country at a rate of about 100 per year.  That's 100 new weeds *every
year* in Australia.  Care to guess who pays the government to deal
with those exotics?  Don't know about animals, but what's wrong with
the already numerous feral species that we have here, not to mention
all the natives, that we need to bring in more?

Just to bring the point home, Alan Gillanders' recent comment about
Rabbits invading the Atherton Tableland rainforest is a particularly
disturbing and poignant reminder that just because we don't believe a
species will be able to survive in the wild, life will find a way.
Where is there left for the Rabbit to invade?  Surely Foxes will
follow gladly.

Regards,
Chris
Broome, WA