birding-aus

Photo Lenses

To: <>
Subject: Photo Lenses
From: "Ferdinande,Bram,SYDNEY,GLOBE Center AOA" <>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:03:24 +1000

Hi Guys,

If you want to know what the possibilities are with all the lenses previously quoted, have a look at our website www.keeponbirding.com

I myself have the CANON 100-400mm F4-5.6 IS. I'm happy with it but I know there are better lenses. On 400mm it slightly looses sharpness. I think no one will complain about this as it is only noticeable when you put it next to a picture taken with a  non-zoom lens. It's easy to use when hand held. Canon 1.4 extenders should work With AF. Manual focus can be tricky. All pictures on the Australian part of the site where taken with this lens.

My brother (Miel Ferdinande) in Europe Uses a Canon 500mm F4 +1.4x extender. Auto focus works with extender. It weighs a ton. You need a tripod or at least a monopod at all times. Because it is an F4 it is a lot brighter and it is extremely sharp. It's very good.

Johan Buckens also on the European part of the site uses a tamron 100-400mm. Same as with the canon zoom not as sharp when fully extended. He also uses and old 600mm F4. But it does not seem as sharp as a new lens.

I haven't got any experience with the fixed 400mm ISM DO. But I have seen some good results.

You need to decide what you want to do. If you are the type that is very patient and can wait till the bird comes to you then the 500mm is your lens. Euh, when it is in your budget. It you are the type that likes to bird while walking around then go for a smaller lens.

Bram Ferdinande
www.keeponbirding.com