birding-aus

re:Honeyeater attractants

To: <>
Subject: re:Honeyeater attractants
From: "sanda" <>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:09:13 +1000
Hi David and all,
I haven't had a chance to look around the Box/Ironbark country around
Bendigo/Inglewood etc yet this autumn but I had a couple of hours to kill
today and payed a visit to some Blue Mallee areas in the northern Whipstick.
A winter flowerer, the trees I drove through were full of buds and blossom.
I stopped in a good looking spot and had a magical hour with a frenzy of
honeyeaters of 9 species all sharing the plentiful resource. Add to it a
heavy shower of rain, puddles on the road and lots of song ,it all made for
a memorable visit.
The 9 Honeyeaters in rough order of abundance were,
Yellow-tufted, Yellow-faced, Fuscous, Brown-headed, White-eared,
White-naped, Red Wattlebird, Tawny-crowned, and Black-chinned .
Also recorded were Shy heathwrens,White-browed Babblers , Variegated
Fairy-wrens and a Brush Bronzewing.
This area should be very lively for some time. Try the road running
parallel, and to the north of,  Skylark road.
Purple-gaped Honeyeaters can often be found there too.

Today I heard what I thought were Purple-gaped singing ,more by elimination
than because I know their song well. It had some similarities to
White-fronted's song (particularly a couple of phrases)but wasn't as harsh,
and also some resmblance to some of a Tawny-crowned's more complex tunes,
but didn't fit either. Having listened to the BOCA tape of Purple-gaped it
doesn't fit that either. The song was repeated many times and for most of
the time I was there. I couldn't find the bird in question. A mystery .I
just might have to return.
Happy birding!
Simon Starr.