birding-aus

Black-necked Stork ?? in N. Victoria

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>, "Bob & Sadhana Cook" <>, "Sean Dooley" <>, "Stuart Cooney" <>, "Bill Ramsay" <>, <>, <>, "Barry McLean" <>
Subject: Black-necked Stork ?? in N. Victoria
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 14:25:25 +1000

Black-necked Stork reported on 25.03.05 from Tungamah, N Vic.,

via Bob Cook.

I searched unsuccessfully for this ‘Stork’, described as being black & white and larger than accompanying Brolgas, on Monday pm and Tuesday am, 4 & 5 April. It was reported as being seen on 25.03.05 by non-birding friends of Bob Cook, (David & Laurel), while staying at a farm at Tungamah in N Victoria. It was on a swamp at the NW corner of the junction of Wallden Rd & Dickie Rd, (VICROADS Country Directory p 33 F3). This is private land, a property called Sand Bank. I made 3 visits to the swamp, which is about 1.5 km in diameter and checked it thoroughly. I saw several White-necked & White-faced Herons, Yellow-billed Spoonbills and both Ibis species, but no Stork or Brolgas. The latter had bred nearby. It is a red-gum swamp, but less densely wooded than others in the area.

            I also looked at Tungamah and Taylor’s Swamps situated north of the Tungamah Road east of Tungamah, some of the southern shore of Lake Mulwala at Yarrawonga, Dowdles Swamp (see J3 on same map) and the swamp south of Fisher Road (H4). I glanced across Moodies Swamp (E5), followed parts of the courses of the Broken & Boosey Creeks, a small section of the Murray River and scanned the irrigated farmland north of Katamatite. Saw some nice birds but no Stork. There is of course much suitable habitat along the Murray.

            At this stage, I regard the report as highly likely (what else could it be?), but unproven, as this would be only the 5th record for Victoria.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930
Ph:  (03) 9787 7136