birding-aus

Fuel Reduction Burning

To: "'John McAllister'" <>, "'Colin Driscoll'" <>, "'BIRDING-AUS'" <>
Subject: Fuel Reduction Burning
From: "Giles Mulholland" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 18:48:26 +0200
John

I stand corrected - in general at least.  However, the protea grasslands
on the farm are being slowly compressed in size due to the expanding
bush.

Others have suggested this means that then this bush would be the proper
climax vegetation. However, the extensive pine forestry all around the
area has meant that regular lightning or early human burns no longer
occur, and the previously extant grazers are almost all eradicated.  So
this means that under current environmental practices, the protea
grassland will soon vanish from the farm.  I am determined that this
shouldn't happen, and if I am going to be fighting modern thinking and
even "nature" - so be it.  I am determined to keep the protea
grasslands!

Giles

Giles Mulholland
Phone: +27 (13) 733-3177
Fax: +27 (13) 733-3177
Cell: +27 (83) 411-2424
Postal: P.O. Box 162 Schagen, 1207, South Africa
E-mail:
Web: www.4-siteplanning.com