birding-aus

Fuel Reduction Burning

To: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Subject: Fuel Reduction Burning
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:12:13 +1000
Chris,

Generally I am in agreement with the opinions you have expressed but have a few queries running in my head.

What about hot burns to manage these situations:-

1 wet sclerophyl being invaded by rainforests

2 truffle production for species like Northern Bettong?

Perhaps the former on a two hundred year cycle and the latter at about 7 to 10.

Also not sure about never burning the rainforest. I have noticed two things which might be relevant here. Firstly the recruitment of emergent trees is not keeping up with their death through old age. The spread of vine filled areas where there have been tree falls indicates that gaps in the forest are not always closed by little seedlings and saplings that have been hanging around for their chance to shoot for the sky. Secondly charcoal is not an uncommon thing to find in the rainforest.

It has been suggested to me that Aboriginal burning of fallen tree heads and the associated vine tangle helped to keep the forest open. This is better for the movement of people.

I do not have the answers but lots of questions. The human life span is a short time scale and that of a research project is even shorter. The one thing that is sure is that we need to maximise the size of our reserves, both individually and collectively.

Regards,
Alan