birding-aus

Query re film: "Travelling Birds"

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Query re film: "Travelling Birds"
From: David Adams <>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:39:12 +1000
> Hi Phillip, I have wondered the same thing. My guess is they are Greylag
> Geese probably on Kerguelen or Amsterdam Islands. These are both French
> administered islands. The geese may have been introduced when the islands
> were settled and became feral.
>
> Any other suggestions?, Michael Ramsey.

I haven't seen the film in some time, and don't remember the scene or
geese in question. All the same, the Falklands came to mind
immediately, given the number of native geese there (Ashy-Headed,
Rudy-headed, Upland, Kelp). The birds of the Falklands are covered in
Alvaro Jaramillo's "Birds of Chile", by the ways

If you haven't seen it, there is a helpful site for penguin-lovers.
The following page shows a world map that allows you to click a spot
to find the penguins in that area:

http://www.penguins.cl/penguins-region.htm

There are also individual pages for each species. Below is the link
for the King Penguin page:

http://www.penguins.cl/king-penguins.htm
 David Adams

 Bermagui 2546 NSW