birding-aus

Spotless Crake at Werribee Zoo

Subject: Spotless Crake at Werribee Zoo
From: "Frank Rheindt" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 02:03:27 +0100
Dear all,

two different individuals of Spotless Crake (one non-adult with a light throat) showed well, one at each of the first two clearly-marked wooden bridges (clockwise) along the Pula Reserve Circuit at the Werribee Open Range Zoo.

I went there in response to a tip-off by Clive Garland who had seen Lewin's Rail here around the same month last year. I failed to locate Lewin's Rail, but other notable sightings included Buff-banded Rail (4), good views of three species of lorikeet (Musk, Purple-crowned and - to my astonishment - 4 Little Lorikeets), and - for our friends of introduced species on this mailing-list - one Greenfinch and 2 Song Thrushes. Also an Arctic Jaeger and Calamanthus at the beach at Kororoit Creek on the way back.

Good birding,

Frank

PS: Does anyone on the list know any reliable VIC sites for Painted Honeyeater at this unfavourable time of year, preferably not too far from Melbourne??? On March 14, Clive Garland and I failed to find any at Clunes SF (whence they had been reported a few months ago), though we did see 3-4 Fork-tailed Swifts and a small flock of Swift Parrot around the cemetery area.

DEPARTMENT OF GENETICS
University of Melbourne

OFFICE ADDRESS:
Museum Victoria - Sciences Department