birding-aus

Lake Broadwater Bird Hide

To: "Robyn Howard" <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Lake Broadwater Bird Hide
From: "Dam Lamb" <>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:16:59 +1100
Robyn,
            We visited Lake Broadwater in mid Sept. 2004 as part of the BA
Campout and found the hide to be blocked at the bottom step.Can't recall if
the road was gated as we had walked-in along the waters edge. Grahame Rogers
of BASQ said he believed the hide had been closed because the steps up to
the hide were found to be either too steep, or to far apart (can't remember
which) and didn't meet the appropriate standards. So the response of Dalby
LGA was to close the hide to ?prevent access and ?possible litigation if
someone was injured using the steps.
    Of course the other possibility is to fix the steps , but that would be
another step towards common sense which appears to be frowned upon these
days.
      Regardless, we saw some great birds that day, including an Inland
Thornbill which must be fairly close to its eastern limits.

     Russ Lamb, Maleny,SEQ