birding-aus

Big cluthes for big birds.

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Big cluthes for big birds.
From: "Del Richards" <>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:43:16 +1000
The resident pair of black-necked Storks on the lower Daintree River (NQ) were successful in rearing four young in their breeding effort for 2004. The nest was placed in rainforest on Halfway Island about eleven kilometres upstream from the river mouth.
    The food demand on the parents in this instance would have been tremendous. The four young were observed a irregular intervals for up to eight weeks after fledging.
    An instance of a male Southern Cassowary with five chicks was related to me in February. It was one of three males that live close to Cape Tribulation. This is most unusual as the species normally lay up to four eggs per clutch and not all of them may be fertile.
    There have been more sightings of Cassowaries north of the Daintree according to feedback from tour operators that travel the road daily. I recommended to a British guest a couple of places to try for them and they encountered three adults and two chicks in thirty-five minutes!
    Upon relating the incident to a friend (ex-driver) he considered my chances of getting a donation for Cassowary preservation in this instance somewhat remote.

Del. Richards, Fine Feather Tours, Mossman, NQ.