birding-aus

Mynas

To: alan morris <>
Subject: Mynas
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:59:43 +0800
In my local area (roughly 2km^2) in Brisbane I've recorded 108 species
of birds in 2 years, however the species in greatest numbers are Noisy
Miners (150+) and Common Mynahs (100+).  I've personally observed a
pair of Common Mynahs successfully drive Rainbow Lorikeets from a
nesting hole, and successfully defend that hole from Galahs.  To me
this means that long-lived species like Cockatoos may be being
severely impacted by the species - something we can't really
investigate over short periods.  The QLD Parks and Wildlife services
were seriously considering listing the Scaly-breasted Lorikeet as a
threatened species because the number of nesting records for them have
crashed since Rainbow Lorikeet and Common Mynah numbers have taken
off.

In a local nature reserve in Cooper's Plains there are more like 200
Common Mynahs, in a dense dry sclerophyll/melaleuca swamp area.
Perhaps planting more trees in surrounding areas would be an effective
method of making the habitat unsuitable, but since we're talking a
high-density housing area this is unlikely to happen.  Given the
density of these birds, and the fact that people are seriously
unlikely to suddenly have a change of heart about golf courses,
playing fields and front lawns, shouldn't we at least investigate
impacts/control methods?  The birder I mentioned in my previous email
on this topic noted that after successfully removing Common Mynahs
from his area he had many new species of birds arrive on his property,
including several hollow-nesting parrots (not overnight of course, but
since the control began).

Regards,
Chris